An impact investing fund manager based in Washington, D.C., SEAF invests risk capital and provides business support to growth-oriented SMEs in frontier and emerging markets. Managing 35 investment funds and vehicles over 28 years, the organization has made more than $400 million in SME investments across a wide range of sectors in 27 countries. Using equity, mezzanine, and term credit, SEAF’s impact investing model offers financing adapted to the needs of SME businesses and the commercial market.
Investing in Women partners with the Small Enterprise Assistance Funds (SEAF) to finance the growth of women’s SMEs in Indonesia, the Philippines, and Vietnam. Program funding will support the following SEAF activities: (a) Proof of Concept Investments into women’s SMEs; (b) Direct Management Support to source and close deals; and (c) Post-Investment Technical Assistance for the business expansion of investees. These interventions will help address the major issues on the supply and demand side of impact investments for women’s SMEs. The program’s partnership with SEAF will widen the circle of development, redressing existing socio-economic imbalances to empower women.
Summary of Key Results and Investment Activities
- Launch of the SEAF Women’s Opportunity Fund for Southeast Asia
- Equity and quasi-equity investments into women’s SMEs.
- Investments in the range of US$ 1.0 – 2.5 million for women’s SMEs.
- Established investment teams in Vietnam and the Philippines and cooperation with Sovereign’s Capital in Indonesia.
- Significant co-investments and private sector leverage from SEAF’s global Flex Account.
- Investments to create intentional and measurable gender, social and/or environmental value, alongside a financial return.
- Sector agnostic, with impact themes on gender, job creation, sustainable agribusiness, healthcare, education, and environmental sustainability.>
In the process of investing with a gender lens, SEAF will strengthen the program’s knowledge of market appetite for investments into women’s SMEs.
For more details about SEAF, please visit their website.