About Kinara Indonesia.
Established in 2011, Kinara Indonesia operates as a venture capital firm focused on early-stage enterprises in growing sectors across the country. The firm supports entrepreneurs with improvements to product management, financial management, corporate governance, marketing and strategic management, and importantly their access to markets and alternative business financing. Kinara has been managing (since 2016) Indonesia’s first impact business acceleration program, which has supported the growth of 11 businesses working in the food security sector.
About Patamar Capital.
Patamar Capital (formerly Unitus Impact) exists to unlock better economic opportunities for Asia’s low-income communities. The firm achieves superior returns for its partners by investing in and supporting early-stage, high-growth companies solving South and Southeast Asia’s most pervasive problems at scale. Patamar Capital’s global team based in Bangalore, Ho Chi Minh City, Jakarta and San Francisco has completed investments across six countries and sectors including agriculture, education, healthcare, financial services, and employee benefits.
Investing in Women partners with Kinara Indonesia and Patamar Capital to strengthen the investment readiness of women entrepreneurs in the country. Investing in Women funding supports a Women’s SME Acceleration Program for the expansion of early stage businesses.
Summary of Key Results and Investment Activities
- Training and mentoring for 24 women’s SMEs in Indonesia, in two cohorts over a two-year period (using the Village Capital model).
- Each cohort consisting of 12 women-run enterprises, whose leaders go through a four-month, intensive acceleration program under the guidance of business mentors.
- Seed capital of US$ 25k to four top enterprises from each cohort of the acceleration program.
- Winners chosen through a peer-review selection process.
- Investments to create intentional and measurable gender, social and/or environmental value, alongside a financial return.
- Current cohort (2017) under the theme of Food Security (Sustainable Production and Consumption), supporting businesses working in the upstream agricultural sectors, food/raw material production, and retail food and beverage.
In the program, ventures develop their business models, learn to create and manage a team, interact with potential customers, and connect with investors – all while participating in peer-mentoring with an eye toward the ultimate peer-rank and investment. By incorporating a gender lens through the acceleration program and investment activities, Kinara Indonesia and Patamar Capital will strengthen Investing in Women’s understanding and strategy to help women’s SMEs launch, grow, prepare for, and receive investment capital.
For more details about Kinara Indonesia, please visit their website.