Southeast Asia Rising from the Pandemic
Southeast Asia Rising from the Pandemic highlights recovery scenarios and long-term challenges for South East Asia and focuses on selected drivers of economic growth for Cambodia, Indonesia, the Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand, Timor-Leste, and Vietnam.
The COVID-19 pandemic has forced governments in the region to resort to lockdowns and border closures to control the spread of the virus. However, these measures have disrupted economic activities and output growth in the region,
At the onset of the pandemic, governments in the region had to resort to lockdowns and border closures to control the spread of COVID-19. These measures—necessary but severe— effectively disrupted economic activities and output growth in the region, with some countries more badly affected than others. Two years later, South East Asia is slowly recovering . However, the extent of the recovery remains uneven, and sensitive to the volatile path of the pandemic.
This report highlights the important factors and developments affecting the regions’ economic recovery. It also demonstrates how public financial management-related interventions have enabled governments to carry out measures during the pandemic.
The report also identifies various policy recommendations that support governments’ post-COVID-19 recovery plans for a resilient and inclusive growth for all. It also outlines key priority reforms that can contribute to a more resilient, economic, social, and environmental systems in the region.
- Tables, Figures, and Boxes
- Executive Summary
- 1. Southeast Asia: Establishing Economic Recovery Pathways
- 2. Indonesia: Boosting Post-Pandemic Productivity Prospects
- 3. Philippines: Mitigating Risks of Long-Term Labor Market Scarring
- 4. Cambodia: Identifying Drivers for a Stronger Recovery
- 5. Lao People’s Democratic Republic: Building Tourism Competitiveness
- 6. Thailand: Recharging the Future of Tourism
- 7. Viet Nam: Leveraging Digital Transformation to Power Post-Pandemic Economic Recovery
- 8. Timor-Leste: Addressing Public Financial Management Challenges for Pandemic Recovery
- 9. Malaysia: Strengthening the Health System for Economic Recovery
This report was originally published on the Asian Development Bank website.