Gender-Inclusive Legislative Framework and Laws to Strengthen Women’s Resilience to Climate Change and Disasters
Gender-Inclusive Legislative Framework and Laws to Strengthen Women’s Resilience to Climate Change and Disasters focus on laws and policies to build equality, prohibit discrimination, and empower women to participate in disaster risk management (DRM).
Women are impacted by climate change and disasters because of gender inequalities and limited opportunities in decision-making processes. This report develops and applies a National Good Practice Legislative Framework used as an analytical tool to help improve gender equality based on international norms and examples of national laws. It can also be used as a good practice guide in developing laws supporting women’s resilience to climate change and disaster risk.
The report highlights laws that underpin rights and opportunities that support women’s overall resilience during climate and disaster risk. It explores essential elements to strengthen women’s socio-economic status and opportunities, including the need for good laws to combat violence against women, protect the right to decent work and income, and establish and enforce women’s legal rights to assets and resources.
- Executive Summary
- Purpose of This Report
- Structure of This Report
- Development of the National Good Practice Legislative Framework
- Identifying Examples of Good Laws
- Part 1: Gender Differences in the Context of Disasters and Climate Change
- Gender Differences in Disaster Situations
- Gender Differences in the Context of Climate Change
- Part 2: Overview of International Norms and National Legal Frameworks
- Overview of International Norms
- Part 3: Good Gender-Sensitive Laws and Lawmaking
- Good Constitutional Provisions for Women Relevant to Climate Change
- and Disaster Risk Management
- Good National Laws That Promote Equality and Anti-discrimination
- Gender Mainstreaming in Lawmaking
- Part 4: Gender-Sensitive Disaster Risk Management and Action on Climate Change
- Good Laws on Gender-Sensitive Disaster Risk Management
- Good Laws for Gender-Sensitive Action on Climate Change
- Emerging Case Law on Women, Disasters, and Climate Change
- Part 5: Good Lawmaking to Improve the Overall Resilience of Women
- Good Laws to Combat Violence against Women
- Good Laws to Improve Women’s Rights to Decent Work
- Good Laws to Improve Women’s Rights to Assets and Resources
- Good Laws to Support Women in Micro, Small, and Medium-Sized Enterprises
- Part 6: Concluding Observations
- Appendix: Terminology
This report was originally published on the Asian Development Bank website.