Gender Equality Scorecard Manual
The Gender Equality Scorecard© (GES) is a proprietary tool Small Enterprise Assistance Funds (“SEAF”) developed to assess women’s economic empowerment and gender equality within growth-orientated small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). The GES© provides an overall rating score for a company based on six gender equality performance vectors: pay equity, women’s workforce participation, gender diverse leadership and governance, benefits and professional development, safe and healthy workplace environment, and women-powered value chains.
The purpose of this Manual is to give the users of the tool clear guidance on how to score each gender equality vector consistently to reduce measurement error. Ultimately, the Gender Equality Scorecard has been developed for companies, organisations and/or funds to use as a due diligence and gender lens investing toolkit, which applies consistent and comparable gender scoring of potential investable SMEs.
The GES can be used for multiple purposes, including to:
- Assess, score and select potential investment opportunities with regard to a company’s demonstrated commitment to gender equality;
- Further score potential portfolio companies during due diligence to identify areas for improvement and determine gender improvement plans to be integrated into portfolio company’s short-term business plans and more medium-term value creation strategies for the benefit of women, investors and entrepreneurs;
- Conduct ongoing assessments of portfolio companies’ gender equality to guide post-investment value creation work;
- Leverage the data set will serve to validate and refine SEAF‘s and other investment firm’s thesis around the importance of women’s economic empowerment and gender equality, as well as wider diversity, to company performance, financial or social.
Table of Contents
- Executive Summary
- What is the SEAF Gender Equality Scorecard and Its Purpose?
- What is the Purpose of the GES Manual?
- How is a Gender Equality Score Determined?
- How Are the Individual Vector Parameters Scored?
- Measurement, Reporting, Cost and Timeline
- GES and IRIS+
- Pay Equity
- Women’s Workforce Participation
- Gender-Diverse Leadership & Governance
- Benefits & Professional Development
- Safe and Healthy Workplace Environment
- Women-Powered Value Chains
- SEAF Women Economic Empowerment/GES© Case Study 1
This report was originally published on the SEAF website.