COVID-19 Gender-Responsive Local Economic Recovery Handbook
Developed by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), UN Capital Development Fund (UNCPDF) and United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG), the COVID-19 Gender-Responsive Local Economic Recovery Handbook helps assess the impact of COVID-19 on women’s economic security and recovery and offers tools to develop feasible solutions at the local level for economic recovery and gender equality.
Although women are at the frontline of the response to the COVID-19 crisis, they are grossly under-represented in government’s response mechanisms. For example, the new dataset on women’s representation in COVID-19 taskforces states that out of a total 225 task forces across 137 countries, women make up only 24% of task force members. This mirrors their low representation in public and leadership positions, in all spheres of governments.
Women’s full and inclusive participation in public institutions is critical to ensure their needs are adequately addressed in pivotal decisions that are being made. The COVID-19 crisis has set back decades of work by further widening the gap in many fronts, from employment rates to unpaid work hours and the poverty gap between men and women.
To ensure that progress is not reversed, we must devise and implement sustainable strategies at the local level the to create a roadmap for recovery and resilience for women, communities, businesses, and nations.
- Chapter 1 – Introduction
- Introducing the Tools
- The 2030 Agenda and SDG Localisation
- COVID-19 crisis impact on women’s economic empowerment
- Chapter 2 – Understand Women’s Economic Empowerment Principles and Concepts
- Defining Women’s Economic Empowerment
- Benefits of promoting WEE in the COVID-19 Recovery Plans and Programs
- Major Constraints and Drivers to Achieving Women’s Economic Empowerment
- Overcoming the Constraints to WEE Through the Eight Drivers of Change
- Chapter 3 – Assess the COVID-19 Gender-Responsive Local Economic Recovery
- Implement the assessment, stage by stage
- Going in-depth into the local recovery analysis: Analysis of the major local value chains
- Chapter 4 – Plan the COVID-19 Gender-Responsive Local Economic Recovery Plan
- Objectives of the COVID-19 Gender-Responsive Economic Recovery Plan
- Possible Strategies to Support COVID-19 Recovery of Small-scale Agricultural Producers
- Possible Strategies to Support COVID-19 Recovery of Women in the Informal Economy
- Development and Stages of the COVID-19 Gender-Responsive Economic Recovery Plan
- Chapter 5 – Finance the COVID-19 Gender Responsive Local Economic Recovery
- The Integrated National Financing Framework
- The Private Finance Focus (for Investment in Public Investments)
- WEE Financing Approach in post-Covid-19 Economic Recovery
- The Women’s Economic Empowerment Index
- Chapter 6 – Implement and monitor the COVID-19 Gender-Responsive Local Economic Recovery Plan
- Implementing the COVID-19 Gender-Responsive Recovery Plan
- Monitor, Review and Evaluate the Plan
This report was originally published on the UNDP website.