The 2018 State of Women-Owned Businesses Report
This report provides information on sociodemographic characteristics that influence overall movement in the women-owned business sector in the United States. It analyses the trends in the number of firms, employment and revenue in 2007, 2012, 2017 and 2018.
The 2018 State of Women-Owned Businesses Report is part of an ongoing annual measurement of business trends. It is based on data from the 2007 and 2012 United States Census Bureau Survey of Business Owners (SBO).
It is used by the women’s enterprise development community— media, funders, entrepreneurial support organisations, elected officials, suppliers and customers and women themselves—to inform policies, practices and advocacy efforts that encourage positive business results and inspire and motivate women to start and grow their own business.
The report is prepared for American Express by Ventureneer, a Digital media and market research company; with support from CoreWoman, an organisation that works towards gender equality and the economic empowerment of women.
- National trends
- Analysis of overall business ownership, employment and revenues
- Number of new net new women-owned businesses per day
- Analysis of business owner demographics
- Current numbers for firms owned by women of color
- Trends in number of firms, employment and revenues for women-owned businesses by racial/ethnic group
- Age-related trends among women business owners
- Analysis of business demographics
- Industry trends
- Geographic trends
- Economic clout
- Employment vitality
Source: American Express