Thank you for your interest in joining Investing in Women (IW).
Since April 2016, we have been trialing innovative ways to tackle one of the most critical economic and social issues of our time: gender inequality. An initiative of the Australian government, we partner with businesses in the Philippines, Vietnam, Myanmar and Indonesia to influence workplace equality; with impact investors to expand women’s access to capital; and with a wide range of partners to change harmful social norms and gender stereotypes.
Our mission—to catalyse inclusive economic growth through increasing women’s economic opportunities in South East Asia—is at the heart of everything we do.
If you are interested in joining our small, dynamic team and applying your skills, experience and passion to this mission, we want to hear from you.
The Research Manager will be responsible for identifying, developing and managing research activities and partnerships, focusing on Women’s Economic Empowerment (WEE) in South East Asia under the three IW Outcome Pathways: 1. Workplace Gender Equality (WGE); 2. Impact Investing in Women’s SMEs; and 3. Influencing Gender Norms. They will assist with the development of terms of reference, grant agreements, refereeing/quality assurance and possibly also play a role in conducting research.
The successful applicant will develop annual research plans and identify and manage partnerships to implement a range of research activities, primarily through local/regional institutions and individuals that have an applied ‘action learning’ focus. The Research Manager will work across the breadth of program activity to support the collation, development and dissemination of research on women in the economies of South East Asia (SEA) and build the business case/s for WGE within the SEA context. He or she will also liaise with Australian Embassies in target countries in the development and implementation of research plans.
Complementing IW MEL, they will assist IW teams and partners to make evidence-based decisions by understanding context, synthesising existing knowledge and conducting or commissioning primary research to fill knowledge gaps. This research will support IW’s advocacy agenda across all Outcome Pathways and position IW as a thought-leader.
The Research Manager will:
- In consultation with the three Outcome Pathway teams and MEL, map research priorities across the program and develop annual research plans;
- Work collaboratively across the program with internal and external stakeholders and engage with networks to commission, develop and disseminate research and knowledge products on WEE, WGE and relevant gender norms in SEA;
- Develop sound work processes for the commisioning and oversight of relevant research partnerships;
- Develop a database of relevant researchers and contract a panel of experts to provide short-term inputs on the methodology and appraoches to ensure quality outcomes;
- Identify and negotiate research partnerships, with a focus on local/regional institutions and individuals with an applied ‘action learning’ focus; and
- Manage and support the implementation of these research partnerships and the research plan, budget preparations and contract management.
- Appropriate tertiary qualifications;
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in managing research partnerships in a cross-cultural environment;
- Expertise in gender, particularly areas relevant to Women’s Economic Empowerment, with knowledge of and experience in behaviour/gender norm change and gender research in South East Asia an advantage;
- Experience in applied research with an ‘action learning’ focus;
- Experience utilising qualitative and quantitative research methodologies is highly desirable;
- Excellent influencing and negotiation skills, including an ability to deal with people at all levels with credibility, and diplomacy;
- Demonstrated strong skills in networking, negotiation and communication;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and an ability to disseminate research findings to varied audiences; and
- Well-developed networks with relevant research institutions and organisations, researchers and academics, particularly in Indonesia, Philippines and Vietnam will be an advantage.
Further Information & Application
Further information in regards to this opportunity can found in the Position Description available from the Careers page of Abt Associates’ website.
Applications should be submitted online via the Careers page of Abt Associates’ website and MUST include a CV and covering letter addressing the key requirements listed above.
Applications close: 12AM (AEST), Saturday, 15 June 2019
We welcome and thank all applicants, however only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.