Qualitative MEL Specialist (Impact Investing)
Thank you for your interest in joining Investing in Women (IW).
Since April 2016, we have been trialing innovative ways to tackle one of the most critical economic and social issues of our time: gender inequality. An initiative of the Australian government, we partner with businesses in the Philippines, Vietnam, Myanmar and Indonesia to influence workplace equality; with impact investors to expand women’s access to capital; and with a wide range of partners to change harmful social norms and gender stereotypes.
Our mission—to catalyse inclusive economic growth through increasing women’s economic opportunities in South East Asia—is at the heart of everything we do.
If you are interested in joining our small, dynamic team and applying your skills, experience and passion to this mission, we want to hear from you.
The Qualitative MEL Specialist (Impact Investing) will work specifically on MEL for Pathway 2, through qualitative data collection, analysis and reporting. The findings will be used to assist Pathway 2 and impact investing partners to better understand how to adapt policies and practices to more effectively identify high-potential Women’s SMEs and to effectively invest in them. This will support the development of an evidence base for impact investing in Women’s SMEs using gender-lens approaches in South East Asia.
The Qualitative MEL Specialist (Impact Investing) will:
- Review existing documentation including MEL reports and the Pathway 2 MEL System
- Adapt or refine the methodology and tools as needed for the case studies of Impact Investing Partners (IIP);
- Each quarter review IIP reports and lead on six monthly follow-up touchpoint calls with each IIP, and provide summary report to IW and to each partner. (Other MEL team members and Pathway 2 members may also participate);
- Schedule and conduct annual in-depth interviews with each of the IIPs and provide a detailed report back to each partner, and to IW;
- Share findings of the IIP interviews with the Pathway 2 team;
- Coordinate interactions with the IIPs closely with the Pathway 2 team;
- Contribute to the analysis and write-up of the MEL Reports to IW and DFAT, to be led by the MEL Director; and
- Liaise regularly with the IW MEL team and the Pathway 2 team.
The preferred applicant for this role will have:
- Postgraduate education in business, management or social sciences;
- At least five years’ practical experience providing technical assistance to the design, implementation and/or monitoring of SME development programs (desirably with a sufficient focus on larger enterprises with annual turnover exceeding USD 1m p.a. and/or working with investors);
- Significant experience of working on private sector development programs with familiarity of social finance, impact investing and gender lens investing;
- Five years or more experience contributing to or leading applied qualitative research or evaluation processes in low to middle income countries;
- Experience integrating, monitoring and/or evaluating gender equality and womens’ economic empowerment within programs;
- Demonstrated capacity for clear written and verbal communication and commitment to meet agreed deadlines;
- Demonstrated ability to build strong rapport with key stakeholders and informants; and
- Substantial experience working in the South East Asia region is desirable.
Further Information & Application
Further information in regards to this opportunity can found in the Position Description available from the Careers page of Abt Associates’ website.
Applications should be submitted online via the Careers page of Abt Associates’ website and MUST include a CV and covering letter addressing the Key Selection Criteria listed in the Information for Applicants document.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from experienced and capable women.
Applications close: 12AM (AEST), Sunday, 13 December 2020
We welcome and thank all applicants, however only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.